Food additives are substances added to food. Some additives have been used for centuries. With the advent of processed foods in the second half of the twentieth century, many more additives have been introduced, of both natural and artificial origin.
The advantages of food additives are these followed:
1. Improve the appearance of food.
2. Keep and enhance the nutrition value of food.
3. Increase the variety and conveniences of food.
4. Miantain freshness and prolong shelf life.
5. Provide leavening or control acidity and alkalinity.